Sunway Lagoon is a massive theme park located in Bandar Sunway in the state of Selangor. It is a mere 15 minutes drive from the city when there is no traffic congestion on the roads.
While researching for our trip to Malaysia, I stumbled upon this theme park near Kuala Lumpur. The online reviews about this park were mixed, some were disappointed while some had their best days here. Some even mentioned that the place was not up to the mark in the cleanliness department. Our other option for the day was a trip to Genting Highlands, but with the construction of the 20th Century Fox park in full swing, most of the attractions there were closed. In the end we decided to be brave and stick to Sunway Lagoon itself.
We took a taxi from the hotel on a weekday and it took us a good 30-40 minutes under peak traffic conditions to reach here. The fare came to 50MYR. You can also take the KTM Komuter Train from KL Sentral to the nearest station, Setia Jaya which would take around 20 odd minutes. Sunway Pyramid is just 5kms away from this station and a taxi will get you here in no time.
Sunway Lagoon is open from 10am to 6pm and uses a wristband payment system for the food stalls and lockers. The regular cash option is also available. We didn’t opt for the wristband system as one has to go back to the sales counter at the end of the day to get your refund, if you have any unused money loaded in it.
The park is made up of six adventure zones. These are water park, amusement park, wildlife park, extreme park, scream park and Nickelodeon theme land. The water park is the most popular of all and has something for everyone, right from Vuvuzela, the highest water ride in the world to a massive surf beach. You can actually spent the whole day here and not be bored. The amusement park has rides (some wet, some dry) meant for the whole family, right from Apache Pots and Captain Kid’s Candyland for the little ones to the Colorado Splash and the Grand Canyon River Rapids for the whole family. The scream park is definitely not meant for the faint hearted. Our older one was more scared than the younger one when it came to the spooky yet fun Ghostbusters Adventure Live.
We skipped the extreme and wildlife parks as we had only a day to spend here and we didn’t want to rush about in the name of trying to squeeze in everything. The park also has performances, parades and games throughout the day. The children particularly enjoyed the Great Slime Deluge at the SpongeBob splash adventure zone. Who doesn’t like to get wet, again and again?
There are a whole lot of dining options spread over the park and you are never far from a refreshment kiosk. And they serve everything, right from Indian to Malaysian to American. The prices are quite reasonable too.
Coming to the tickets, we had done our research and bought our tickets online. Tickets for adults are priced at 170MYR, while children are charged 140MR. Locker charges come to 22MYR for multiple usage ones.
Some of the points to keep in mind while you are at this park are as follows.
- Please avoid going to the water park between 1pm to 3pm. Its quite hot during this period, you could use the wave pool or lazy river instead.
- Please bring only the bare minimum items required (extra set of clothes, towel, soap, umbrella and sunblock cream) as you need to put them away in a locker. And the price is higher for a larger size locker.
- You do not need to be in a swimming costume to enjoy the water park. A regular t shirt and shorts will suffice.
- Wear comfortable shoes or flip flop as you need to walk around a lot.
- Carry couple of plastic bags to put in all your wet items.
- The shower rooms do not provide shampoo or soap. So make sure you bring your own stuff.
- The map is your savior in a sprawling property like this. So take a copy at the entrance and keep it close.
- The restaurants are packed during lunch time. If you don’t want to waste your time queuing up for food, then it is best to have your lunch early or some time post the rush hour.
- The park closes at 6pm and the traffic will be pretty heavy at this hour. So plan accordingly.
Though we were skeptical about this park after reading the reviews online, we found out our fears were baseless. The place was clean and the staff were friendly. In fact, the staff even fished out my older ones glasses from the water in no time after she had lost it in a ride. Now who would oblige that request in a theme park?
The scale and variety of the attractions literally overwhelmed us at one point. But we sure had fun the whole day! And as far as the children are concerned, this place was the best part of their holiday to Malaysia!
Address: 3, Jalan PJS 11/11, Bandar Sunway, 47500 Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.
Open Daily: 10:00am till 6:00pm